A 33--year resident of the Westside, and what is now the City of West Kelowna, Bryden Winsby has deep roots in the Okanagan.
He was born in Kelowna, where his father, Roy, was a pharmacist. The family moved to the coast when Bryden was a boy and he later attended the University of Victoria. After his second year in fine arts, a summer job with the Victoria Daily Times became permanent.
Bryden subsequently worked as a reporter and editor with several community and daily newspapers in the province, including the Powell River News, Kelowna Daily Courier and the Capital News (where he was managing editor for nearly eight years). From 1985-1990 he was publisher and editor of the Westside Sun, a twice-weekly community newspaper based in Westbank.
Bryden now operates his own publishing company, OMedia Communications, which produced quarterly magazines for the BC tree fruit, berry and wine industries, and now focuses on occupational safety and health information products. He is a former director of the BC and Yukon Community Newspapers Association.
What's He Done for the Community?
• Three-term Councillor, City of West Kelowna
• Finance committee chair, Okanagan Regional Library board
• City of West Kelowna representative, Central Okanagan Economic Development Commission advisory board.
• Past-president, Glenrosa Residents' Association
• Alternate Westside director, Regional District of Central Okanagan
• Member, Westside Advisory Planning Committee, RDCO
• Chairman, 1988-93 Westbank Incorporation Study Committee
• Past director, Okanagan Sun Junior Football Club
• Head Coach, Kelowna Sun Midget Football
• Past-president, Westbank Rotary Club
• Twelve-year director, Kelowna Fat Cat Children's Festival
• Founding director, Kelowna Snowfest
• Former president, Kelowna and District Arts Council
|The past few years have been the worst on record for wildfires in British Columbia and several have occurred in or near West Kelowna. In an effort to help curb the number of human-caused blazes, the city has posted a number of signs whose message is very clear. Pictured here from left are Coun. Bryden Winsby, Coun. Carol Zanon, Mayor Doug Findlater, Fire Chief Jason Broland and Coun. Rick De Jong.
||Bryden has coached at all levels with the Kelowna Minor Football Association and has served as a director of KMFA. He was on the executive of the Okanagan Sun Junior Football Club for 10 years.